Monday, July 23, 2018 / by Megan Luther
It may be hard to believe summer will be coming to an end soon. Still, there’s still plenty of time to fulfill your bucket list of summer fun activities…and no better place to do it than Grand County!
Here are 10 “must do” items to help you turn the Winter Park area into your summer playground!
1. Paddle Board on Grand Lake: You KNOW you’ve been wanting to do this! Experience the scenic beauty of one of Colorado's oldest tourist destinations and the state's largest natural body of water on a rented paddle board.
2. Camp at Arapaho Valley Ranch: Rent a tipi, glamping tent or rooms in a historic lodge which houses Colorado's smallest bar, The Red Dog Saloon!
3. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Low-level flying will allow balloonists to spot wildlife, pick pine cones from treetops, fly over the train, and "splash & dash" into a pond or river. At higher altitudes, the spectacular peaks of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Continental Divide can be seen.
4. Ride the Alpine Slide: Take a scenic chairlift ride up and slide down Colorado’s longest alpine slide. Over 3,000 feet of heart-pounding track twists and turns and winds down a 600-foot drop and back to the base of Winter Park Resort.
5. Take in a Concert: If you like music, Grand County offers a variety of concerts and free music events throughout the summer. But don’t wait -- because as each weekend passes, you’re missing out.
6. Soak in the Hot Springs: Relax and unwind at one of the nation’s oldest, largest and finest natural mineral springs resort and spas. Come for a soak and get an outdoor massage or book one of there 17 rooms and stay awhile.
7. Take a Gondola Ride and Dine on top of a mountain: Located atop Winter Park Mountain, Sunspot is a mountain lodge providing panoramic views and extraordinary dining at 10,700 ft!
8. Soar on a Zip Line: Go to places you’ve never been in a thrilling new way on five different zip lines that travel up to 40 miles per hour as you soar over meadow and through treetops.
9. Learn to Fly Fish: Another item that you’ve never gotten around to, well wait no more! Book a trip with experienced area guides for all-inclusive guided trips & lessons, wade & float trips, full- or half-day trips.
10. Be a ninja warrior: You’ve seen the show, no try it for yourself. This spectacular aerial structure offers 24 separate challenge elements on a self-guided, ‘smart belay’ that keeps you firmly hooked to safety as you climb, zip and swing your way through obstacles up to 25 ft off the ground.
AND…if that’s not enough “play” for you -- don’t forget to reserve your ski holiday before lodging options fill up because there’s just as much fun in the snow as there is in the sun in Grand County!